Be Aware Of Carbon Monoxide (CO) Sources

Today commercial buildings and residential houses are built tighter to prevent unwanted hot or cold air from entering. These conditions cause negative pressure which can prevent CO from leaving a building. Garages, warehouses, gas water heaters, furnaces are sources of CO and if not vented properly or obstructed can be deadly.

In recreational use, improperly vented portable gas camping heater, generator or any gas appliance can cause carbon monoxide poisoning inside the tent, rv, camper, vehicle or shelter. Therefore, it is important to have these items installed by a professional and have them serviced annually.

Carbon Monoxide (CO) poisoning produces flu-like symptoms, watery eyes, headaches, dizziness, fatigue and possibly death. You can’t see it and you can’t smell it. It’s an invisible killer. Opening a window or tent flap does not always remove carbon monoxide, so please use portable gas heaters, gas appliances outside and never sleep with a heater “ON” inside any enclosure.

Actions to take if you or anyone you encounter is affected or overcome by carbon monoxide:

  • Get the victim to fresh air.
  • If the victim isn’t breathing, give mouth-to-mouth resuscitation.
  • Get medical help, call the nearest emergency medical service, law enforcement official or ranger.
  • Transport the victim to a medical facility.

Exposure to CO: Important Numbers To Remember

  • 9 PPM Max allowable exposure for living area (ASHRAE standard)
  • 35 PPM Max exposure for 8 hr work day (OSHA)
  • 800 PPM Symptoms within 45 minutes – Death within 2 to 3 hrs
  • 12,800 PPM Death within 1-3 minutes

McCall’s Supply offers Carbon Monoxide detectors from trusted manufacturers like UEi, which are perfect for determining CO levels. If you’re not sure which CO detector best fits your need, there are professionals nearby who can help. Reach out to your local McCall’s Supply, Inc. dealer for help and guidance.