3 Safety Tips when Dealing with a Carbon Monoxide Leak in Your Home

3 Safety Tips when Dealing with a Carbon Monoxide Leak in Your Home

carbon monoxide

General HVAC service questions aren’t always about the basics.

General HVAC service questions are commonplace for most HVAC dealers. One that comes in less often,
fortunately, has to do with carbon monoxide leaks. If your carbon monoxide detectors go off, here are three safety tips you need to know:

Tip #1: Leave the House Immediately

Carbon monoxide is the gas that is leftover after the incomplete combustion of carbon. In simpler terms, it’s what your furnace produces when it burns
fuel to generate heat that warms your home. It’s colorless, odorless, and tasteless. It’s also deadly. It replaces the oxygen in your red blood cells
and reduces the amount of oxygen delivered to your body in your bloodstream. Because you can’t tell when it’s present, it’s critical to make sure everyone,
including pets, gets out of the house if your CO detector goes off.

Tip #2: Call 911

Once you are outside, call 911 or the fire department. They can assist you when carbon monoxide is present in your home. They have the protective gear
to be able to go into your house without risking their health with exposure to the gas.

Tip #3: Call in an HVAC Professional

If you have an issue with your HVAC system that’s causing carbon monoxide to leak into your home, you need to schedule repair as soon as possible. You
cannot run your HVAC system until a certified technician has done what is necessary to service and repair the system.

Don’t take any chances when it comes to carbon monoxide leaks. Contact your local McCall’s dealer for
any of your general HVAC service questions, including those about the safety and maintenance of your heating and cooling system.